The Planning and Community Development department oversees the County's planning process via implementation and administration of the Comprehensive Plan. The department also operates the following core programs:
- Administration and enforcement of the County's Zoning, Subdivision, and Erosion & Sediment
- Control Ordinances. The Sandy River Reservoir Overlay Protection District is currently being developed by the County as an addendum to the Zoning Ordinance.
- Approval of plats and commercial site plans
- Issuance of zoning approval on building permits
- Management of the County's structure addressing system
- Emergency Management
- Solid Waste Management
The Planning and Community Development department conducts research and provides technical advisement on land use matters for the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, represents the County on regional planning organizations, and serves as a clearinghouse for public information pertaining to land use and development in the County.